Portraits Of The Ukraine’s Maidan Protesters
(From Left to Right)
1. A man patrols the main front beside the access point to Lobanovskyi Dynamo Stadium, an area where the barricades are weak. For months now, he has slept very little. He is a carpenter.
2.A man from Vinnycja in the Carpathian region of Ukraine. He works as a professional security guard and has been in the Maidan from the very beginning of the protests. He is convinced that the protesters will win their fight for freedom.
3. A young man taking flowers and chocolate to celebrate a friend’s birthday in Maidan. He is a native of the Vinnycja region and is a sales agent in a supermarket.
4. A man from Vinnycja serves the opposition on the main frontline on Grushevskogo street. He is an artist, painter and photographer. He says he is horrified by the violence of the clashes and the brutal force used by the government’s special forces
5. A priest of the Orthodox Ukrainian Church from St. Nicholas parish in Kiev. In early December he was drawn to the people gathering in the main square to protest and fight.
6. These men are called “the Bears” by the protesters. They are professional security guards, well trained for guerrilla situations and ready to fight. They have been fighting for Maidan since the beginning.